Most Common Problems during Freezing Temperatures
A good quality furnace can last for many years, possibly even decades. At Standard Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning, we have serviced heating systems that are over 20 years old. It’s more possible than you may realize. Keeping up with proper maintenance of your HVAC system is the most important determination of how long it will last. Beyond home heating system maintenance, there are certain situations homeowners should know about in order to keep their furnace working at optimum performance.
The extreme cold snaps we experience can experience in Kansas in the winter can put your furnace to the test. The extra demand on your home’s heating system and can lead to furnace problems that are more likely during very cold weather.
How cold weather affects your furnace
As temperatures drop outside, the more work your furnace must do to heat your home.
Here we will go over the most common issues for heating systems in extremely cold weather. Understanding these problems will help you be prepared to handle issues quickly or even prevent them from happening at all.
Top 5 Common Furnace Issues During Cold Weather:
1. DIRTY AIR FILTER
Filters that are clogged could cause your furnace to cycle on and off frequently. A dirty air filter can lead to poor air flow through your ducts. This could even cause your entire HVAC system to stop working.
DIY REPAIR: Change your air filter
2. THERMOSTAT PROBLEMS
Are you noticing your furnace is cycling on and off? Problems with your thermostat could keep your furnace from adequately warming your house. The problem could be that your thermostat should be calibrated.
- Make sure your thermostat is set to a temperature at least a few degrees from the current temperature.
- Check to see if you need to change the thermostat’s batteries.
If neither of those steps fixes the problem, contact us and a certified heating & air technician will calibrate your thermostat.
3. DRY AIR MAKES IT FEEL COLDER
Does your house feel colder than what your thermostat is set at? This could be because of by dry air. Dry air is a regular winter issue for our area. The solution to improving indoor humidity levels is something that works alongside your heating and cooling system.
Getting a residential humidification system installed will greatly improve your dry air problems. Call Standard Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning in Manhattan to learn about getting a humidification system installed in your home – (785) 776-5012.
4. FURNACE SLOW TO HEAT
This is one of the most aggravating furnace issues during cold weather, when it is taking too long to warm your home up when you return at night after work? You could be setting the temperature too low during the day.
Whether you control it manually or by programming it, you may be setting it too low. The amount of work your furnace needs to do to get the temperature back up to your evening thermostat setting may be simply too demanding to happen as quickly as you need.
- Try putting your daytime setting (or the period of time you are away from home) to a higher number than usual. The downside is that you may see an increase in your energy bill. But it should remedy your problem of not being able to get your temperature to reach the desired number at night.
- This cold weather problem could be happening because you have an old or failing furnace. You may need to consider getting a new heating system installed. A new furnace will heat your home more thoroughly and efficiently, an improvement you can expect to see with lower monthly energy bills.
A programmable thermostat is a great way to control your home’s system and save money and energy. Standard can install a new digital programmable thermostat to help you best regular the temperature in your house. Learn about all the thermostat options we provide.
5. HEAT OFF FROM A POWER LOSS
Your furnace won’t work if there is no power to it. Here in our Manhattan area, we know what a big winter storm can do. A widespread power outage can leave us in the dark and freezing cold for days. But even a small power outage can stop your furnace from working and leave you confused to come home to a cold house.
- If your home lost power, you could just need to relight your furnace’s pilot light.
- You can check to see if a circuit tripped, cutting the power off from your furnace. Check the breaker box to make sure all circuits are on.
Emergency Heating Repair in Manhattan
Standard Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning in Manhattan, KS provides maintenance service, routine repairs, installations and 24-hour emergency service. We service the entire area including Wamego and Junction City.
If your furnace isn’t properly working, call us at (785) 776-5012 for immediate service. You can also contact us to schedule a seasonal furnace tune-up and a free evaluation of your home heating needs.
We know furnace and air conditioning emergencies can happen any time of day or night and on any day of the year. For that reason, our Standard team of skilled technicians is available 24/7 for service!